Ask and you shall receive! I have been getting TONS of requests on where to shop for curve friendly or plus size fashion, how to dress to flatter curvier features and how much skin is appropriate to flaunt! I will be touching on all of these topics :)
Here are a couple emails that got me thinking this is something I need to put more of a focus on...
I'm a really big fan of your blog/Instagram/Facebook page and just wanted to say thanks so much for all the work you're doing! As a bigger girl myself I do find days where it's really hard to love what's looking back in the mirror, but your updates help make it a little easier. I was just wondering if you have any suggestions for stores that you buy all your clothes! I love your style and it's so flattering to your shape, and I was hoping you'd help make the shopping experience a little better too!
I have been following your posts after seeing it on Tumblr. I have to say that you are an inspiration for curvy woman! As one who often battles with self love and acceptance, it has brought me comfort coming across your posts and seeing how you embrace yours. Now I am slowly but surely feeling comfortable in my own skin and 'eff'ing those beauty standards! Thank you for that. Truly.
I love your work, you truly are someone who inspires me, any good books you've read on self confidence and stuff like that, because you girl are on fire :) Just wanted to tell you that! I had a bad day today with someone in a clothing store saying something to me and just wondering if you had advice or things you would recommend ?
I have a very random question for you...I know you do more make up but was wondering if you could give any suggestion on where I could get any plus size dresses for my cousins wedding. The new stores (that I shop at) I find tailor to the thinner sizes so I'm having a hell of a time. You always look great when you post your pictures so I was hoping you'd have a suggestion for me :)
First off I want to thank my amazing clients and followers who have taken the time to send me these kind words! YOU are all helping me with the daily battle of pushing out negative influences from the media and so forth and accepting who I am right now!
I will have to say I am kind of lucky as I can shop at both regular stores and some plus size stores as my size hovers in both options. You may not be plus size yourself but I find that if you do have a curvier shape, larger breasts, a bigger butt, or large calves or quads - sometimes it's hard to find things that fit even if you wear a size 6/8 or smaller! Sometimes it's good to check out plus size stores as trying to make something fit that just doesn't, can be very unflattering. Just get over what the tag says and buy clothes that fit well!
- I LOVE Asos Curve line. The pieces are so fashionable and trendy and really affordable!
- Additionelle has super cute well made clothing that fits a curvy figure so nicely. Depending on your size you may or may not be able to shop there. I usually take their smallest size so if you are smaller then me it might be too big for you there! Their smallest size is a 14 :) Even if your not plus size but have a broader frame and have a hard time finding jackets that fit your shoulders or arms they have an amazing selection! I also find it's great to find oversized sweaters - since it's easier to find larger sizes then yours, you can grab something that is a few sizes bigger for a baggier fit.
- If you want some inspiration follow theashleygraham and nadiaaboulhosn -- two of my favourite plus size models that have amazing fashion sense and are great for curvy girl fashion inspiration!
- I also find that H&M and Joe Fresh tend to fit my figure nicely as well!
- Forever 21 also has a plus size line, unfortunately they don't carry it here at the London location (although I can still manage to find some great pieces in there that fit me), you can order it online or go on the hunt for locations hear by that carry it!
- Another couple great places to check out is Winners, Marshalls and Reitmans! Not only do they carry a very wide range of styles and sizes but they also all have a plus size section!
Don't be afraid to get things tailored! I have started getting clothes tailored more often in the last 5 years and it's amazing! My pants are notoriously too big around my waist as I have quite a big bottom half, so buying pants that fit my butt perfectly and then getting the waist tailored in to fit is so great. I have done the same with blazers, I have larger arms and breasts but I only wear a 34 around in my bra so I always need it taken in.
Strategically Placing Blacks vs Colours/Patterns
I love to find pieces with panelling and colour blocking. Check out this blazer I got last summer from Target...
Features this jacket has that you should look for when shopping for a piece:
- Black colour blocking along the sides and underarms. This helps your torso and arms appear slimmer
- The bottom of the jacket comes to a point down the middle - this helps the eyes draw in and down creating a longer slimmer line
- The jacket cinches just below the bust - this works great for me as the smallest area on my body is right under my bra and down from there about 5 inches.
I wore all black underneath the jacket and on my bottoms as it helped add more focus to the colour blocking on the jacket - ties it all together nicely! I also wore a plunging neckline to aline with the darting tails at front of the jacket, again drawing the eyes in and down. Picking and choosing where you show off skin is important. Since curvier girls have more skin to show, when something is just a little revealing it can seem more revealing then you intended. For me, if I'm wearing a plunging neckline showin' off the girls - I tend to keep everything else pretty conservative. Or if you're wearing a shorter dress and showing off legs, choose a higher neckline. Just my opinion in keeping it classy looking! Plus, gotta leave something to the imagination - keep em guessing ;)
I hope you guys enjoyed this post! I think that all shapes and sizes can benefit from this as there are some good pointers to keep in mind in dressing for the female body shape in general! Have a fabulous day :)